Friday, January 29, 2010

Alphabet Powers

I was wondering how many letters the kids had picked up. I've never really worked with them on letters, but both the older two can recite their ABC's. I was wondering if this same osmosis had transferred actual letter recognition to their little minds. So, starting with Imogene, because I figured she'd know more if they knew any, since she's had 15 more months than Aidan to absorb this information, I tried to find out. I stood her in front of the fridge, looking at all the alphabet magnets (that were color coordinated by Imogene), and I asked her if she knew any of the letters' names. She stood there for a moment looking, then picked up the "O" magnet and said, "This is an "o" because it is a circle." I confirmed her statement, then asked if she knew anymore. She looked for a moment, then said, "No. I don't think I do." Okay, so she knew one letter out of 26. I bring Aidan to stand in front of the fridge. I asked him if he knew the names of any of the letters. He grabbed the "Q" and said, "A "Q"!" I confirmed his statement. I asked if he knew more. He grabbed the "O" and said, "It's a "O" like a circle." I confirmed his statement. I asked if there were any more letters he knew. He grabbed the "W" and said, "Is a "W"." I confirmed his statement. At this point, I was fairly impressed. I thought surely he knew some of the easier letters if he knew such obscure ones. He did not. He knew 3 letters out of 26. Impressive that he knows more than his older sister. (She blows him out of the water on colors, though.) I left Emery out, but perhaps I should have included him. He might have known 9 letters! We'll be working toward recognizing all 26 letters! - Lindsey

No comments: